Monday 15 October 2007

Alors, we walked all down and up Cowley. It was all bright and full of people and felt all safe and downtowny. There were lights shaped like moons. We sat around in restaurants where the kebabs had grown thin and smelt of lamb and Indian music played. When we got back we surveyed our booty. There was pizza and tofu and curry and naan bread, donner kebab, and so much else. We also got a chicken for Alex, and what could only be invented in Britain: chips with baked beans and mayonnaise on. And I got us some baklawa from the middle eastern grocer, which was sooooo good it was like death, or being sick. Mmmmmm.
After that we all lay around on the floor.
Abbey and Kelly and Jemma and I, being girls, all got in a cuddle pile and Chris played us his acoustic guitar and played songs. It felt like it was the 60’s.



That’s another thing we did. A few days ago we made a fort out of the couch and blankets, and I got my disney princess torch and we managed to cram in and tell stories.

Another time we went to the king’s arms, which is our college’s pub -- our college had it’s own pub --and I got bangers and mash with onion gravy and ate it all. I won the prize of britishness that day. Another time we got fish and chips from our local chippy, and another time deep-fried mars bars. Oh, the things I have eaten since getting here. I don’t actually eat very much at all, bc I’m too poor to buy food, but when I do eat it’s always something horrifying like baked beans on chips. Or bread.

14 Oct.

Went into town eating the remnants of last night’s kebab. Sunny and beauteous. Wadham library: got a copy of Jane Eyre. The Oxford library system is confusing and impossible, but I’ve come to realize that if it’s a book that could possibly be taken in a feminist context, it will be in the sarah Lawrence section of the wadham library. Abbey and I went to Wychwood Warriors then. I was a bit shy again, but then I got to fighting with sticks and I really got on. I had one of the easiest, most genial conversation I’ve ever had, quite spontaneously and while trying to hit people with sticks. And I got to wear a helmet and I got to use a sword and it was so much fun to swing a blade at someone’s neck, you have no idea.
Kelly and I went to the co-op I got me some weetabix, some mushy peas, and a pineapple banana coconut smoothie. Then Abbey and me and David and Kelly sat around downstairs sort of working until late. I suppose I should actually work now. hmmm.

No comments: